gnucash and X window forwarding problem

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat May 24 13:32:59 EDT 2014

At Sat, 24 May 2014 09:27:19 -0700 John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On 24 May 2014, at 07:20, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > More likely it is gconfd, since the Splash Screen, the Since Last Run window
> > would all be handled with the same X11 connection as the main display.  Unless
> > the program is doing something really odd, any given X11 client only makes one
> > connection to the X11 server, no matter how many windows (toplevel or
> > otherwise) are created.  That is, there is only one (lowlevel) XOpenDisplay()
> > call (somewhere in the depths of the Gtk library, probably somewere in
> > gtk_init).
>
> Yes, one would certainly hope that GnuCash would handle everything in a
> single X11 connection. But why would gconfd need one at all?

Don't know.

> There's only one place where XOpenDisplay() is called (in
> gdk/x11/gdkdisplay.c), but there are several places in gtk/gtkmain.c that
> lead to there. I don't have time to do the analysis in detail to work out
> all of the paths to see if more than one of them is exercised.

There should be only one path should ever exercised -- the different paths
probably relate to variations based on things like command line arguments or
values of environment variables, and so on. Calling XOpenDisplay() more then
once in a given application is very much not recomended. If for no other
reason than uniform event loop processing (eg having multiple event loops in a
single application is really bad).  It would be a *serious* (show stopping)
bug if somehow gtk_init<mumble> ended up calling XOpenDisplay() more then once
and I suspect it would be a bug for a Gtk application to call gtk_init<mumble>
more than once.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933 / heller at deepsoft.com