QIF Import Fails

Art pinaart at yahoo.com
Thu May 29 10:33:35 EDT 2014

If it were me, I'd reduce the failing and the working  QIF files to one transaction, confirm that the import still fails with one and not the other, then do a diff on the text files and see what stands out (I would actually use WinMerge because it highlights the differences, displaying both file contents side by side so you can see the line and column differences.

In the past, it's been a record delimiter or the currency syntax (e.g., EU vs. US comma and dot usage). It's kind of fuzzy now after several years, but I may have even had line terminator symbol problems, e.g., ^M vs. ^M^J. Actually, I reviewed the script in GC doing the conversion and saw what it expected which allowed me to fix my QIF file format.

- Art

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:35 AM, Maf. King <maf at chilwell.net> wrote:

On Thu 29 May 14 20:10:44 Keith Bates wrote:
> On 29/05/14 19:01, Maf. King wrote:
> > On Thu 29 May 14 13:51:13 Keith Bates wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am trying to import into gnucash a quite large QIF produced by
> >> moneydance. There are several thousand transaction in this file. I have
> >> already transferred three smaller files successfully.
> >>
> >> With this file I get the error "Transaction amount: Unrecognized or
> >> inconsistent format.
> >>
> >> As there is only one instance of the error, I'm hoping that there is only
> >> one transaction involved.
> >>
> >> I've used moneydance to export the file as a CSV then used Libre Office
> >> open this in a spreadsheet.  I searched the transaction amount to see if
> >> there were any non-numerical characters there, as this had been one
> >> problem
> >> someone had had.
> >>
> >> Now I'm stuck. What else should I be looking for? How should I search for
> >> this needle in a haystack?
> >
> > Hi Keith,
> >
> > I'm not well versed in the format of a QIF file, but from what I've
> > understood from the list is that it is a text file, with each transaction
> > in a self- contained block.
> >
> > Can you split the file roughly in half, and try to import each section? -
> > if it is a single error, then half should come in and half fail.  split
> > the failed half in half again and so on until you get to a small chunk of
> > QIF data containing the error.... might be worth doing this with a dummy
> > GC file, or taking a backup and then going back to do a big import once
> > the error is isolated.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Maf.
>
> Thanks Maf.
>
> I tried this but it seems the error must be occurring multiple times.
>
> I divided the file into several chunks, the first of which just
> contained the initial account structure, and then two other blocks with
> the about half the transactions each. The one with the account structure
> was accepted but the other two were rejected with the same error.
>
> I did a visual check against a different qif file which was happily
> accepted, but I can't see any obvious difference.

Hi Keith,

Sorry, I don't know QIF enough to be able to make an other suggestions.  Can
you post one of the failing transactions (and your GC/OS versions) - maybe one
of the Gurus will pick the thread up.

Cheers,
Maf.