Importing From Moneydance

Keith Bates keith at new-life.org.au
Fri May 30 23:50:11 EDT 2014

I'm trying to switch from moneydance to gnucash. I've worked through all
the issues with importing the qif files.

The transition seems to work out fine for simple personal accounting
type accounts, but I am running into big problems with a church account
that has several liability accounts, accounts payable and a credit card
account.

The most obvious of these problems is that there seems to be a
difference with the way md and gnucash work with liability accounts- or
at least the way they get handled when going via qif file.

Example.

Each fortnight I make an entry from my bank account that increases the
"Pastors Benefit Fund" liability by $200, then balance that with a
charge to an expense category called "Pastors Benefit"

When I withdraw from that Benefit Fund, via my bank account or credit
card, it appears as a decrease from the Benefit Fund.

That all works out fine in moneydance. But the data import has put both
the deposits and withdrawals from that fund onto the same side, so that
the liability gets ever greater instead of rising and falling.

Is there any way to correct this in the imported data?

The alternative would be to stay with moneydance for another month and
start with brand new data on July 1 when the Australian financial year
starts. The trouble is that I would effectively be archiving the
previous 12 years of records.

--
God bless you
Keith Bates