Second Request - Importing and Categorizing

mspringer mspringer at industrialarts101.com
Sun Nov 2 20:56:53 EST 2014

I have downloaded OFX files to import into GC and it is not recognizing
or categorizing the transactions properlywhen I import them to the
register; it assigns all the transactions to a single category (i.e.,
'transfer') and I then have toedit each transactionand place it in the
proper category.  This seems to defeat the purpose of downloading and
importing transactions; it would be almost as easy for me to enter each
transaction manually when reconciling.

For example, I downloaded a few months of credit card transactions and
imported them.  Theywere all assigned to a category I use called
'Computer Expenses'.  Most, if not all, of the vendors that I had made
purchases from were already inthe account, so none of the categories
(transfers) were new.

I don't believe I had this problem when I first started using GC, it
seems to have developedsomewherealong the way.  I don't reconcile my
accounts every month so I'm not sure exactly when this started.

I switched from Moneydance- which did automatically categorize
downloaded transactions - but it frequently skipped transactions that
were downloaded during import, so I switched to GnuCash.  Everything
seemed to be OK at first, but as mentionedproblems have shown up at some
random time.

Mark Springer
industrial arts