processing payments/ pre-payment

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Nov 6 12:34:41 EST 2014

On Thursday 06 November 2014 10:25:50 mark wrote:
> <op removed>
>
> > The most likely cause for this situation is that you have at some
> > point unposted a bill that had been paid already. When you do this
> > the payment is decoupled from the bill and will show up in the
> > payment dialog window as a pre-payment. Once you repost the bill
> > the payment is not automatically associated with this bill.
>
> The reason for this turns out to be that I occaisionally have been
> deleting those internal link entries that pop up in the AP register.
> I had querried about them once before and thought it was okay to
> remove them becasue they don't affect the balances. Turns out they do
> what they say they are and break the link to the payment. I find
> these entries very cluttering but guess I have to leave them alone.
> In my view it would be good if they were not visible but I'm not
> trying to make work for anyone.
>
> Mark

Mark,

That would indeed be a second way to break the link between bills and payments.

The good news is that as of gnucash 2.6.4 the use of such links will be greatly reduced. Only if
you offset one or more bills with one ore more credit notes, such link is still required. So you will
see much less of them appear in the future.

In addition gnucash 2.6.4 comes with a function to clean up the older lot links. For this you go
to your account hierarchy, highlight your A/P account and then select "Actions->Check &
Repair->Check & repair account".

This will go over all the lot links in your a/p account and replace them with direct links between
payments and bills. This will not affect your balance in any way. The corrected bill/payment
links will also be understood by previous versions of gnucash. However if you make changes to
bills or payments with an older version of gnucash (more precisely 2.6.1-2.6.3) that will
recreate the confusing lot links.

Regards,

Geert