GnuCash Portable

Steve butterandsalt at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:31:42 EST 2014

John... have a question. Using Windows 7.

I installed the GnuCash portable version (2.6.3) on my USB stick, copied
over the data file and all of the config files that I've been using with the
standard GnuCash install on my laptop, without any problem and it works
fine, including receiving the imported transactions from the Android GnuCash
app.  Just to satisfy my own paranoia before I start "relying" on the
portable install, I backed up the revised data file after I added a number
of transactions, I closed out the portable application, removed the USB
stick, and then opened the standard GnuCash application installed on my
laptop, using the "revised" backed up data file. Again, no problems, it
works just fine.

On my main GnuCash install, eg on my laptop, I've always had the
"compressed" option turned OFF; apparently the default setting on the
GnuCash portable install is "ON", I really hadn't noticed. But I do notice
the significant difference in the size of the files.  The original data file
with compressed OFF, was 12,777 kb; the revised data file with compression
ON is 901 kb.

Like I say, the revised data file works fine on BOTH installs, as is.  My
questions are: (1) is that large of a difference in file size to be expected
between the compression being on and off, eg should I be at all concerned;
and (2) I guess I'll change my standard install to have compression turned
ON to match the portable setting, but out of curiosity, is there any issue
in using the same data file on two different installs (albeit one standard
and one portable) where the compression settings are different?  And perhaps
more to the real point of my question, are there any other settings which if
set different in 2 different installs, could cause a problem with the data
file which may occasionally be used on both installs (but of course, not at
the same time)?