Count number of nights of booking reservations

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 16:07:04 EST 2014

Not seeing anyone else jump in...

As this is not something I am actively doing, my suggestion is at best speculative. My experience with "normal" commodities (stocks and mutual funds) is that you create a cash account to hold the commodity account. The commodity account is set up to be denominated in units of the commodity, and each of these units has an assigned cash value. Thus, for stocks I would have the following:

Assets
- Portfolio (Cash Account)
- - IBM (Stock Account that uses IBM commodity as its unit)
- - {other stocks as needed}
Income
- Dividends
- - IBM *
- - {other stocks} *
- Other Income
- - IBM * **

* I use separate accounts for each stock's dividends because when I set this up, it helped me reconcile with my brokerage account. I believe now that it would be easier to use a single income account for this purpose and use the description to determine the stock for which the dividend applies.

** I use Other Income for stock dividends, for similar (probably spurious) reasons as above.

With such a structure, there should be no conflict between your rentals and publicly-traded stocks and mutual funds if you add them later. How exactly you set up the rental accounts would be a matter of trial and error to see what makes sense to you, in my opinion.

David