GnuCash on Windows with MySQL backend

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sun Nov 23 04:35:25 EST 2014

On Saturday 22 November 2014 17:43:44 Yitzchok Lavi wrote:
> I am using Gnucash 2.6.3 on both Windows (specifically git rev
> 166cbb7+) and Linux (maybe it's 2.6.4 on Linux) against the same
> MySQL database.On Linux I have never had a problem - once I connected
> to the database I reconnect automatically every time I start the
> program.On Windows I find that every time I connect I am prompted for
> the password and also the server name is incorrect (it defaults to
> localhost). I probably didn't notice this at the beginning because I
> was having so much trouble with another issue which was an actual bug
> in GnuCash.Is there a setting which affects this behaviour? I looked
> on the preferences page and didn't see anything there.ThanksYitzchok

Hi,

GnuCash relies on the system to provide a safe store for the database password. On linux it
uses gnome's keychain on OS X there's the system wide keyring. Windows doesn't provide
such a safe store system wide so on Windows the password is never kept. Indeed that means
you have to retype it each time.

When it prompts for the password it should do so with the correct hostname and database. And
it does so correctly on my test system.

What is the name of your mysql server ? And the name of the database ? Which version of
Windows ?

Geert