GnuCash on Windows with MySQL backend

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Nov 23 10:34:13 EST 2014

> On Nov 23, 2014, at 5:38 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com> wrote:
>
> Mark Seeba wrote:
>
>> Hi there. Is this a multi-user version of GC? I would love it if it is.
>> Thanks.
>>
> Multiple simultaneous users requires that the application run under the control of a DBM (database manager).
>
> That's a project all unto itself, and I don't know if there is an open source project to provide a DBM for the database(s) gnucash might use. Probably not. It would be far beyond the scope of any single application (that might use the particular database) to be responsible for the DBM.
>
> To make clear what I am saying, I do understand why you might want gnucash (using say SQL to store the data) to have a facility to handle simultaneous multiple users. But THAT part of it wouldn't be (just) for gnucash but for ANY application using SQL to store its data.

Not really. It requires only that the program use the DB's concurrency features, and all serious DBs provide those along with abundant documentation. In GnuCash's case that's the easy part. The hard part is changing the way GnuCash works with the backend so that it queries every time it displays something instead of sucking in everything up front. I don't expect to be able to make that change for the next major release. Maybe for the one after.

Regards,
John Ralls