Financial Year Sub Accounts for each Account?

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Nov 28 08:18:53 EST 2014

AfrikaDietmar wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I want to input +5 years of financial data of my holiday rentals business
>into GnuCash. My financial years always start on the:
>01.06.xx and end 31.05.xx | or for example 01.06.2014 - 31.05.2015
>
>Before I start this big project, I want to make sure of the structure of
>accounts that I will use and I would like to have some of your opinions
>before I regret later all the effort.
>
>In the main accounts Tab, you get an overview of all your figures. It sums
>them all up.
>I was wondering if there is a way I can have my accounts also show for each
>financial year.

It is quite possibe that you are confusing "what accounts show" with
what is shown by the normal reports used. The latter can have dates
asingned to them and so show the data for the specified accounting
period regardless of what the account totals (for several periods) might
be. However IF you want the totals (income and expenses) showing for an
accounting period while you are within one then you would want to do a
"close the books" for each accounting period.

I think you need to study up on "fundamentals of accounting" (for your
sort of business) and probably should be using a more comprehensive
source (book on accounting) than provided in the brief intorduction to
double entry bookkeeping that comes with gnucash. I say that
particularly because of your reference to "wallet" as this would
normally not be part of a set of books for a business.

Gnucash is wonderful free software that automates much of the more error
prone parts of old fashioned pen and ink on paper bookkeeping. But it
can't teach you WHAT to do. Properly we here can help you with the HOW
to do (using gnucash, as opposed to something else) but the WHAT you
still have to know.

Michael D Novack