Non-profit / charity / fund accounting, example help, please

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Sat Nov 29 09:57:46 EST 2014

> For people using gnc for personal or business accounting and wondering
> what this is all about there is some apparent weirdness in this type
> of accounting, for e.g. if someone gives you money it may be a
> liability rather than an asset and other non-intuitive and
> entertaining stuff :)

Look, this is a perfect example of the problem not being with gnucash
but with understanding the fundamentals of accounting for your sort of
entity (mine too, I am the treasurer of non-profits and use gnucash for
the purpose).

You are speaking of "restricted donations" of course. Well let's see if
we can't correct how you think about that.

If you receive a restricted donation (can only be used for some
specified purpose) then it IS both an asset and a liability. What it
isn't, is currently available donation income. When you spend some
assets pay for an expense that the restricted funds were qualified to be
used for this purpose you can initially treat that normally (credit
checking, debit expense account). Every so often, monthly, quarterly, or
annually as you prefer* (or are required by your jurisdiction) you can
enter an adjustment transaction whose amount would be the total for that
period of this qualifying expense -- debit the liability ("donor
restricted funds") and credit the special income account ("funds freed
from restriction"). OR, if your jurisdiction requires a different
process then do whatever that might be (I don't know UK regulations for
non-profits).

The point I am making is that NONE of that has anything to do with
gnucash. Nor is special things like this limited to non-profits. Can't
expect the poor gnucash developers to be providing ACCOUNTING examples
for every possible sort of entity, so they quite reasonably did just
"personal" and "sole proprietorships". Well partnerships have "weird
things" like "drawing accounts" under liabilities and corporations, well
let's not go into all the possible special things that might be required
for things like "treasury stock", etc.

Please, if you are trying to keep the books for something more
complicated than personal or sole proprietorship get yourself the
necessary accounting books or get professional accounting help.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

* If you insist on keeping this current as you go (say your bylaws
require that or your oversight person requires that) you CAN do that
using a split transaction. But this is messy, and you need to be careful
as error prone. I do something like this for one of my non-profits as we
buy books, some of which we give away and some of which we sell (and for
the US I need to be able to report "sales" and "cost of goods sold"). So
when I enter a transaction recording the sale of a book I am debiting
cash and cost of goods sold and crediting sales and unallocated books
(simpler when given away, then it's debit books donated and crediting
unallocated books). In our case books are immediately expensed
"unallocated", not an inventory asset, as this is incidental to our main
activities. But like I said, entering two way split transactions is tricky.