Does GnuCash possess a Journal Entry numbering facility

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Oct 2 11:21:36 EDT 2014

On Oct 2, 2014, at 6:48 AM, David Britton <bbaruu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I see, Michael.  Decent workaround.
>
> @John Ralls: you emailed me with your response.  In it, you state that "a
> Journal Entry Number wouldn't mean anything in the normal accounting sense."
> I think Michael and I could agree that the action of posting should be the
> trigger to create a JE# which then would mean something;  you're saying that
> the posting trigger is already by-passed.  It's here the process hits the
> rocks where Michael and I are concerned.  In contrast the old Bedford
> Accounting/Simply Accounting booked transactions in real-time like Gnucash
> but did generate a Number.  So, conceptually there's a way through.  And it
> makes a lot of sense from an Audit Trail perspective since Gnucash could be
> seen as an indexing system.  Personally, I don't use the suggested internal
> reconciliation facility that you mention - never found it useful to mark
> entries; good to know, though, that there's technique out there.
>
> @Michael and @John:  So there's a history here.  A number of folks find that
> Gnucash has this perceived shortcoming.  I strongly suggest that the team
> look hard at adding this feature.  It's likely a lot of work; I can
> appreciate that.  But I think it's key.  Has there been any developer team
> debate around this?

Please remember to copy the list on all replies. Use "reply all" or, if your client supports it, "reply list".

Yes. We're not going to do it. Auditability is not a design goal of GnuCash: GnuCash is intended for home and very small business use where reconciling with one's monthly bank statements is the only required auditing. If that doesn't meet your needs, then GnuCash isn't the right program for you.

Regards,
John Ralls