Weird OFX file import problem

msalists at gmx.net msalists at gmx.net
Thu Oct 2 18:46:53 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-01 18:27, David Carlson wrote:
> On 10/1/2014 7:34 PM, msalists at gmx.net wrote:
>> So it seems that a quick fix would be to change the FITIDs in each
>> file to something unique.
>> Trying to reimport the same OFX file with changed FITIDs makes it list
>> all transactions, but they are recognized as dups, already being
>> marked green and set to "reconcile (auto) match".
>>
>> So if I did go ahead and ran the OFX files through a script to make
>> the FITIDs unique before importing them, it looks like GnuCash would
>> still catch potential duplicate transactions, e.g. if there was a date
>> range overlap in some of the files.
>> Does that sound right?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>

>> On 2014-10-01 17:25, msalists at gmx.net wrote:
>>> Oops I just noticed: every single transaction has this line:
>>>      <FITID>LLLLLLLLLL
>>>
>>> So that's probably the reason? It seems that gnuCash does not care
>>> about all the transactions inside one upload file having the same
>>> FITID, only when processing additional files, it matters...
>>>
>>> Mark

> If the non-unique FITID's were generated by the bank, then they are not
> rigorously following the OFX standard.  I am not sure whether a German
> bank would use that format, since it is mostly used in the United
> States, but I would imagine that the German standard would also have
> some sort of unique transaction identifier requirement.
>
> If the FITID's are generated by some post processor, it should be
> generating unique FITID's.
>
> The OFX standard does not require the FITID's to be unique between
> institutions.  ie Two different financial institutions could duplicate
> the same FITID, and it would be up to the client to differentiate.  For
> more information about OFX visit http://www.ofx.net/.
>
> David C

  MsMoney and Quicken are (or have been) pretty popular in Germany as
well, and I would think that even German software probably uses those
file formats, because that's what pretty much every bank offers.

The FITID is generated by the bank like that. I contacted them and they
said they never had any complaints from Quicken or other vendors - maybe
those don't check the FITID either...