Weird OFX file import problem

msalists at gmx.net msalists at gmx.net
Thu Oct 2 18:50:24 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-02 06:57, John Ralls wrote:
> On Oct 1, 2014, at 5:34 PM, msalists at gmx.net wrote:
>
>> So it seems that a quick fix would be to change the FITIDs in each file to something unique.
>> Trying to reimport the same OFX file with changed FITIDs makes it list all transactions, but they are recognized as dups, already being marked green and set to "reconcile (auto) match".
>>
>> So if I did go ahead and ran the OFX files through a script to make the FITIDs unique before importing them, it looks like GnuCash would still catch potential duplicate transactions, e.g. if there was a date range overlap in some of the files.
>> Does that sound right?
> Yes, that should do it. A date-time (e.g. 20141002145617 for right now in UTC) is an easy way for a script to make a unique number.
>
> Note that GnuCash can also import MT940, MT942, and DTAUS which are more commonly used in Europe. Perhaps your bank can export one of those without screwing it up.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

I have never heard of those formats nor seen them in the download format
selection of any of the banks and brokerage companies I use / used.
Usually you get QIF or OFX. QIF works, but it's a pain to import on
GnuCash's end. OFX import seems to be much more advanced and quicker.
So I'll probably just write a small script that takes the TRNUID and
sticks it into the FITID elements.

Thank you for your help