Shared asset with brother, mortgage involved, not mine, how to account for that?

Daniel Farfán Muñoz dfarfanmunoz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 06:24:58 EDT 2014

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with this:

My brother and I bought an office together. I did a downpayment of 5% of
the value of the office. My brother paid the other 5%. He got a mortgage of
90%. We rent the office to someone else, I receive the monthly rent, and
then I transfer the money (minus some operational charges) to his account
so he can pay the mortgage.

So, I own the 5% of the value of the office, plus some money I earn from
the rent. But how do I account for that in gnucash? How do I know how much
of the office I own? Or how much I'm earning by renting it?

Thanks in advance.