Cash Flow Report

David Britton bbaruu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 07:46:44 EDT 2014

Booking rebates (credits) into the same account as expenses (debits) is
called "offsetting" and is frowned upon in accounting circles.  Much better
to set up a subaccount for rebates at the same level as a subaccount for
expenses (and next door in the account tree) using the concept of "contra"
account;  the subtotal of the two will be the net amount you want, yet the
integrity will be preserved while no slurring together of your financial
information occurs.  It's the same concept as that normally employed for
Accounts Receivable that typically has as its contra an account called
Allowance for Doubtful Accounts.