Cash versus Accrual Accounting

John Morris johnjeff at editide.us
Fri Oct 3 21:14:16 EDT 2014

Hi Mark,
  The problem, as I see it, is that posting the invoice creates a transaction in Assets:Receivable. That transaction, naturally, has two sides: the Receivable account and the income account. As I understand it, that is the only time the income account is involved because payments processed transfer amounts from the receivable account to the payments account.

  When tax time rolls around, I normally report how much income we received by looking at the income account, but those transfers happen when the invoice is generated, not when the invoice is paid, accrual accounting.

  You say that converting accrual accounting to cash accounting is not a huge effort, but I'm looking for the details of exactly how this would work. I suppose I could look at transfers from the receivables account to the payment account, but that is slightly less convenient because there are several payment accounts. Also, it feels wrong because I would be examining the indirect effect of the invoices rather than their direct effect.

  This is why I posted to the list: I would like to know how other people are doing this particular task in GnuCash. We are also planning to use GnuCash for both our personal and business books. I've been using GnuCash for the personal books for a few months now and my wife will start using it as soon as I iron out the last details. For what it's worth, the only reason we are using two different sets of books is that Sue handles the business books and I handle the personal books.

Best,
John