Deleting a Data File

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Sun Oct 5 06:05:16 EDT 2014

On 4 October 2014 at 8:18, David Carlson said:

> On 10/3/2014 4:37 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Hi Ron,
> >
> > You can also use the Find feature of your windows file manager to search
> > for a file named sterling_personal_banking.gnucash.
> >
> > That should reveal where you saved it.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Geert
> >
> > On Monday 29 September 2014 15:04:11 R. J. wrote:
> >> I am sorry to have to ask an elementary question, but I am having
> >> difficulty finding my data file so I can delete it. I have gone to the
> >> FAQ section and noted the procedure there. The file that is identified
> >> when I do a "save as" is sterling_personal_banking.gnucash and the path
> >> is: program files\gnucash\bin. However, when I look in this location I
> >> do not see the file. When I set up the file I saved it as an xml data
> >> file.
[...]

> Since Windows, in it's infinite wisdom, hides everything in the program
> files directories by default, you first need to set it to show system
> files in order to cajole the 'explorer' into including those areas of the
> directories in it's search.  Details of how to do that vary somewhat
> depending on which version you have.

On the other hand, storing data files in the program files directory is
asking for trouble in the first place. Windows acts on the assumption
that you won't do that, and that can include backing out changes you've
made (e.g. deleting the files that shouldn't be there) - naturally this
will vary among versions of Windows, and maybe across automatic updates
(and probably with the prevailing wind if Microsoft can figure out how to
measure it from inside your computer).