Deleting a Data File

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:03:22 EDT 2014

On 10/7/2014 11:05 AM, Fred Bone wrote:
> On 7 October 2014 at 9:28, R. J. said:
>
>> When I do as Fred suggested (i.e. un-hide hidden and system files) the
>> data file and log files do not appear.
> I didn't suggest this. I think David Carlson did.
>
>  If I do a "save as" the data file
>>  path is:\Programs Files (x86)\gnucash\bin and the data file and log files
>> appear to be inserted between two other files. I can see these two
>>  files in Windows Explorer (along with all of the other files that I see
>>  in the "save as" window -except the data file, of course), but there
>> are no files between these two. I am using Windows 8.1.
> DO NOT SAVE DATA FILES IN THE PROGRAM FILES DIRECTORY.

Closing the barn door after the cows got out is necessary, but it does
not get the cows back.

I think that R. J. is still looking for his cow.  One other possibility
is that he previously selected one of the database formats so that there
is no xml format file with a .gnucash suffix  to be found.  If that is
the case, it may be necessary to try changing the format selection in
the Save as... dialog to find the file.  Since I use neither Windows 8
nor any of the database formats, I cannot be sure that my suggestion is
the best possible suggestion.

Alternatively, he should be sure that his search criteria is only for
the filename without any suffix.

David C