Windows: "Metal" theme crashes Gtk2 theme selector

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Oct 12 16:00:08 EDT 2014

On Oct 12, 2014, at 10:04 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2014, at 1:54 AM, Hemanshu Kumar <hemanshusubs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I am using GnuCash 2.6.4-1 on Windows 8.1.
>>
>> When I use the Gtk2 Theme Selector program, selecting the "Metal" theme in
>> the list (i.e. merely highlighting it, without pressing "OK") immediately
>> crashes the program, with a Runtime Error being reported by Microsoft
>> Visual C++ Runtime library in the program gtk2_prefs.exe
>>
>> Please advise how to fix this.
>
> Wow, cool. The reason you don't have to hit "OK" to make it crash is that the Theme Selector is trying to apply the theme to itself, so whatever is causing the crash happens immediately.
>
> I can speculate that the crash is due to a mismatch between the binary images for the Metal theme and the dependent libraries we're shipping for 2.6.4-1 (and 2.6.4-2); we had to recompile those dependent libraries to get GnuCash itself to draw its UI correctly. Seems we need to do that for the themes as well.

I can replicate the crash, when run from a terminal session it produces the additional output "warning: Invalid parameter passed to C runtime function.”, which supports my belief that it needs to be recompiled with the current MinGW environment. However, the Metal theme and engine were removed from gnome-themes, so it’s not going to be in future GnuCash releases.

Regards,
John Ralls