very weird quirk noted, copying one computer to another

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Oct 13 10:14:13 EDT 2014

On Oct 13, 2014, at 12:54 AM, Simon Bryant <simonbry at telus.net> wrote:

> Thank you so much, John.
> After reinstalling and opening Gnucash, there doesn't seem to be any Library/Application Support/gnucash file, see clip from Finder below (I am using OSX, version 10.8.5). The "gear menu" "Show view Options" does not include a "Show Library Folder" option. The Library folder is always shown. Any other suggestions?
> -Simon-
> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>

That looks like  my /Library/Application Support. Note the leading / there: The root folder, usually named "Macintosh HD". I said in your *home* folder, perhaps named Simon or SimonBryant if you accepted the default when you set up your mac.  The presence of an Installer Log in the root folder is a bit strange, but it would be just as strange for it to be in your home folder; it belongs in /Library/Logs.

On the other hand, if you got GnuCash from somewhere other than our website or SourceForge files area, it lacks the customization that writes there and uses the default location .gnucash (note the leading .) in your home folder. These are never visible in Finder unless you explicitly open them with the Go menu. If that's the case you can select Go>Go to Folder in the Finder menu and type "~/.gnucash" in the dialog box to open it. '~' is on the key to the left of '1' and means the user's home folder.

Regards,
John Ralls