cannot retrieve security quotes with gnucash

Brian Greenwood bgreenwood at northwoodmortgage.com
Wed Oct 15 01:44:07 EDT 2014

I am using gnucash 2.4.11 on mac OSX 10.8.5

I have installed Finance::Quote, and tried using it from a terminal window,
running the gnc-fq-dump script with sudo. This script returns data for USA
listed securities using "yahoo" as the exchange.
e.g. sudo gnc-fq-dump yahoo ibm

returns:

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: IBM                  <=== required
      date: 10/14/2014           <=== required
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 183.80               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 183.80               <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

however, I cannot retrieve data from the Canadian exchange.
e.g. sudo gnc-fq-dump canada bce

returns:

Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: bce                  <=== required
      date: ** missing **        <=== required
  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
      last:                      <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

** This stock quote cannot be used by gnucash!!

However, when I try to use the Tools > Price Editor > Get Quotes inside the
gnucash GUI, I get a dialogue that says "unable to retrieve quotes for
these items", even the above IBM example, that works at the command line.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian Greenwood