Where does the Reconcile Information->Starting Balance get its number from?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 10:59:08 EDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 7:31 AM, Aaron Laws wrote:
> For what it's worth, I understand that number to be a sum of the
> "Reconciled" splits to date. That's different from the last reconciled
> balance if transactions have been marked unreconciled (or, heaven help us,
> reconciled) outside the reconciliation process since the last
> reconciliation.
>
> William, as you probably know, you're right to investigate this and get it
> right to avoid balancing entries.
>

> In Christ,
> Aaron Laws
>
> On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 7:48 AM, prl <prl at ozemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> The last reconciled balance. Which should be the same as the most recent
>> statement's opening balance.
>>
>> Peter
>>

>> On 16/10/2014 21:21, whwtan wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm asking this because my starting balance number is completely
>>> different from what I see as "Balance" in the Account itself.
>>>
>>> As an example on 30 September my Balance shows 30.50, and on 31 Oct my
>>> Balance shows 15.00.
>>> I try to reconcile the account with the end date 31 Oct.
>>> The ending balance would be 15.00 but my Starting Balance is going to be
>>> some other wonky number [e.g. -351.98] forcing me to add a balancing entry.
>>> This is going to make the actual Balance in the tab itself look wrong
>>> later...
>>>
>>> William

William,

Open the register and un-select View > Filter by > Reconciled.
Experiment with all the choices.  Notice that the running balances next
to each transaction do not change when you experiment.  If there are
any  un-Reconciled transactions older than your last reconcile date,
then the starting balance in the Reconciliation dialog  will not match
your previous bank statement but you can reconcile (or not) those older
transactions along with the current statement period transactions to
make your ending balance correct.  There should not be a need to add any
balancing entry unless there is an actual error that you do not want to
find and fix.

I think that the starting balance in the Reconciliation dialog is
actually the sum of all transaction split lines containing that account
name dated before the reconciliation date and not Reconciled and not
Voided and possibly not Frozen(Which is not used, AFAIK)

David C