Importing Split Transactions

Robert Mosher rcmosher at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 21:41:25 EDT 2014

Hello,
I'm looking to import a transaction that splits to several different
sub-accounts into GnuCash. What is the format for such an import file? I've
been unable to find documentation on this. CSV would be the easiest for me
to generate. Though I understand CSV requires specifying the meaning of
each column on each import. If this is avoidable that would be preferable.

If you're curious about the details, I regularly move my income into
sub-accounts to help with budgeting. This is a tedious process in GnuCash.
Though I can re-enter the transaction name from the previous month and have
all the values copied forward, I need to make tweaks to the values each
month. GnuCash doesn't guarantee they'll be in a consistent order, meaning
I have to visually search for the correct transaction for each sub-account
before modifying it. It's also easier to visualize my budget in a custom
spreadsheet than in GnuCash, meaning I need a way to import it.

Thanks in advance,
Rob