gc 2.6.4 Accounts Tab Performance/Lag/Slowness

Pete pd20140224 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 23:19:01 EDT 2014

Hi all,

GC 2.6.4 on Windows 7 Pro x64 (also 2.6.3, at least, this is not a new
issue)

Basically, I'm quite happy with the overall performance of GC. All the
various register tabs are snappy, hyperlinks from reports to registers are
fine. Jumping between different account register tabs, great.

But when I click on the Accounts tab, there's a noticeable performance
change. THere's a slight pause before the accounts show. When I try to
expand or collapse the accounts tree or any subtree, there's a lag/delay
between when I click, and when the expand/collapse actually occurs.

Scrolling in the Accounts tab is also slow with visible video tearing. In
an account register, by contrast, I can scroll with the mouse wheel
(non-clicky wheel) and the register will fly up and down! But in the
ACcounts tab, slow, choppy scrolling, tearing visible, time consuming to
scroll.

My system is moderately high-spec i7 920 with a fast video card, Quadro
600. I have tried setting the Windows visual effects to both "best
performance" and "best appearance". No change in gc.

I have also tried creating an empty file, with just a long list of
accounts, and find the same issue, so it does not appear to be data related.

I have tried removing the .gnucash folder to reset configs to default. No
improvement.

What is different about the Accounts tab? Are there any known fixes for
what I'm seeing? Are people just suffering with this or are others enjoying
a snappy Accounts tab too?

Thanks.
-pete