"assign as payment" - 2 splits

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Sep 3 06:47:22 EDT 2014

On Wednesday 03 September 2014 17:15:49 tereque wrote:
> the new "assign as payment' function is a great new feature. I just
> have one problem now and I wonder whether there is a way to solve it
> nicely.
>
>     # I have 2 open invoices to a customer
>     # I have 1 payment that covers the total sum of these 2 payments
>
> When I use 'assign' as payment to the second split, the first is being
> disconnected from its corresponding invoice. Any way to do this?

There are actually several ways to handle this:

1. Via "Assign as payment": in the payment window select all invoices you want to pay at once.
You can do so by ctrl-clicking or shift-clicking the invoices. And only then click on ok.

2. In two separate steps:
a. Pay your first invoice via "Assign as Payment". I assume you keep the payment amount as
the total amount of the two invoices, but select only one invoice.

b. To pay the second invoice, go to Business->Customer->Apply payment
Select the customer. You should now see your second invoice (still unpaid) and a pre-payment
which is the remainder of your first payment.

Select both of these (again using ctrl-click or shift-click). Since the payment should match your
invoice, the transfer account should grey out and all that is left to do is click on the ok button.

Does that clarify it for you ?

Geert