How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Sun Sep 7 04:58:00 EDT 2014

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
Arnd Vehling <Arnd at Vehling.Com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i did write myself a python script for mass importing/creating invoices
> which results in entries being created in Accounts Receivable.
>
> My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
> relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
> name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
> all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.
>
> The description line i import contains all the information i need but
> its not copied to either the A/R nor the relating sales account.
>
> I would like to have the same information i set in the description field
> of the invoice also being set in the description of the refering entry
> in the sales account.
>
> So, is there ANY beside changing the gnucash source to achieve this?
> Maybe by having a script using the database, selecting the description
> text from the invoice table and then update the corresponding entry for
> the sales account using the (uniq) invoice number?
>
> cheers & Thanx for the great software,
>
>    Arnd

Hello

The Memo field can be set when posting the invoice to the A/R account.
I have some Python for parsing my ebay mails and creating invoices/bills, if I post the bill/invoice in Python I have:

bill.PostToAccount(payable_account, bill_date, bill_date, "MEMO NOTES GO HERE", True, False)

There is only one Memo field and there may be multiple lines in your invoice, you'd have to choose one or concatenate them I suppose.

I also auto-create customers/vendors from the ebay mail.

https://github.com/EvansMike/pycash/tree/master/ebay2gnuCash
Note: The code there is a little out of date and quite possibly broken.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53