How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans mikee at saxicola.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 04:41:18 EDT 2014

On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:10:27 +0800
Arnd Vehling <Arnd at Vehling.Com> wrote:

> Anyone has an idea why the invoice import preview shows me a populated
> Memo-field but the Memo-Field ends up beeing empty after an successfull
> import? Maybe because it dont use the "Open imported invoices in Tab"
> option because it would open up too many tabs?
>
> And one question concerning the "account_posted" field. I assume if its
> empty and you only have one account of type "Accounts Receivable" this
> is automaticly used. So you only need to fill this field if you have
> several accounst of type A/R. Correct?
>
> In the python example this fieald is clearly empty:
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/python-import-invoices.html
>
> cheers,
>
>    Arnd

Arnd

I mis-read your original mail and though you had written an importer in
Python.  Having now read the rest of the thread I see the issue is with
importing csv created by your python program.

Have you set the fields, date_posted, due_date, account_posted as
well as memo_posted?  The importer will, or should, post the
invoice on import if these are set and this is when the memo field is
also set, if the invoices are not posted at the time of import the
memo_posted text has nowhere to go and is lost.  If on the other hand the invoice is
posted but the memo is empty then this is a bug and you should file a
bug at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash

However having just tested it, it works on my system.  Try the
following line to test the importer:

MEC-0172,,000013,,,,34-0655 > PROTOBLOC 2 BREADBOARD,ea,Expenses:Materials General,1,4.39,,,,no,,,,,Assets:Accounts Receivable,Memo,y

You will probably have to change some fields to suite your account
layout. Obviously don't use your production gnucash file.  After import
view Assets:Accounts Receivable in double line mode and you should see
"Memo" in the memo field.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.