How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling Arnd at Vehling.Com
Fri Sep 12 00:00:29 EDT 2014

Hello Mike,

i had 2 mails from you ending up in my "second spamfolder" which i
scanned today.

I did experiment with the import like 10 more times now and i am sure
that the importer is partially broken OR my home-compiled gnucash 2.6.3
is broken. I suspect the latter though.

The importer definitely "has problems". It doesnt verify the format of
import fields versus the formats configured in gnucash.

If i try to import an cash value/number like "151.10" ("," is delimiter)
but ive configured a number format of "###,##", i.e. "151,1" (";" is
delimiter) i can import it but the "Price" field will be empty after
import.

There should at least be a warning of the format of the "Price" field
beeing wrong OR it shouldnt be displayed in the import preview! I did
create a complete new account-chart setup with the wizard but i havent
been able to correctly import and auto-post anything.

Therefore i know want to try to use python to directly import the data
into gnucash without using the import module.

which code would be best to use as an reference which is known to work?

On 07.09.2014 16:58, Mike Evans wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
> The Memo field can be set when posting the invoice to the A/R account.
> I have some Python for parsing my ebay mails and creating invoices/bills, if I post the bill/invoice in Python I have:
>
> bill.PostToAccount(payable_account, bill_date, bill_date, "MEMO NOTES GO HERE", True, False)
>
> There is only one Memo field and there may be multiple lines in your invoice, you'd have to choose one or concatenate them I suppose.
>
> I also auto-create customers/vendors from the ebay mail.
>
> https://github.com/EvansMike/pycash/tree/master/ebay2gnuCash
> Note: The code there is a little out of date and quite possibly broken.

thx,

   Arnd