GC 2.6.3: Apparent inconsistency between reports for a single customer

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Sat Sep 13 05:35:01 EDT 2014

On Friday 12 September 2014 15:43:28 Terry Morse wrote:
> Problem solved:
>
> [Note: in my original message, shown below, I typed "accounts
> payable," but I meant "accounts receivable."]
>
> Following off-list suggestions from David Cousens, I have solved the
> problem.
>
> Examining the entries in Accounts Receivable, I notice that the ones
> that appeared on the tax invoice consisted of three parts: one marked
> "Payment" and two "Lot Link" entries with the description "Internal
> link between invoice and payment lots." The payments that were not on
> the tax invoice were single entries labeled either "Payment" or
> "Pre-Payment." I think (but haven't verified yet) that these came
> about when I unposted the customer's invoice to record new accruals,
> then processed the payments before reposting the invoice.
>
> David's suggested I right-click on each single part payment or
> prepayment and choose "Assign as payment" from the ensuing drop-down
> menu. This eliminated the discrepancy between the customer's reports.
>
> Thanks to both David's (Cousens and Britton) who responded to my
> request.
>
> Terry Morse
> tmorse at teleport.com
> http://home.teleport.com/~tmorse/index.html
> *
>
> “Scientists have odious manners, except when you prop up their theory;
> then you can borrow money of them.” – Mark Twain, 1835-1910

Hi Terry,

Thank you for following up with your solution.

And I can confirm that the link between a payment an invoice gets lost when you unpost an
invoice. This was not the case in GnuCash 2.4 and before, but was introduced in 2.6 to
prevent payment corruption that sometimes occurred.

Regards,

Geert