Having experienced all of the benefits...

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Sep 15 12:01:27 EDT 2014

Colin,

Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> writes:

> There is no need to contemplate a port of the s/w.  I believe the
> principle requirement is for a json http interface to allow
> interrogation and updates to the database.  Then the mobile app can be
> built on that, starting with basic features such as transaction entry
> and account summary display.  In the short term there would need to be
> a lock to prevent remote access while gnucash itself was running as
> currently it would not cope with the database being updated under its
> feet.

This has been repeated multiple times over the past couple years, but
the more I think about it the more I think this isn't exactly the right
answer.  For one thing, it requires a server, and most people don't have
or cannot run a server.  For most people it would limit them to having a
working app only on their home network, which sort of defeats the
purpose of having an App on a device.

The alternative would require *someone* to run a server for people.  But
I know that *I* wouldn't trust anyone else to do that (although I
suppose there are plenty of people who would, otherwise mint.com
wouldn't have a business).

However I don't think it behooves us to *require* such a service to
exist in order to have an App.