monthly (but not date based) income/expense report

Don Coleman don at coleman.org
Tue Sep 16 02:12:36 EDT 2014

I'd like to be able to generate a monthly report, but not based on a
strict calendar month (date based), but based on a somewhat arbitrary
scheme -- each transaction manually assigned to a particular month,
loosely related to the date.  This is actually for a couple of people
who have a shared bank account to pay shared bills.

Each transaction in the bank account is either a bill or a payment from
a person  (for their share of a particular month) -- so I assign each
transaction to certain months as appropriate. The bank account starts
with an initial deposit, and I want to make sure that each "month" is in
balance ... so I'd like a scheme for reconciling each "logical" month.

Currently I create a separate gnucash file for each year, and gnucash
accounts for the actual bank account *and* for each month.  When I
import the transactions from the bank, rather then assigning a bill to
"expenses/utilities/gas" for example, I instead assign them to "may", or
"june", etc.   So then when looking at the bank account, I can see that
each is in fact assigned to a month, and looking at each months account,
I can see that it ultimately reaches a 0 balance (or if not, I know to
figure out why)

Is there a way to do this in a standard way in gnucash?  It doesn't seem
to fit gnucash's concepts of a budget, nor  accounts payable nor account
receivable...

Thanks,
Don