GnuCash 2.6.3 CSV transaction import

nick corbin corbin.nj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 09:12:35 EDT 2014

Thanks, Derek. I suspect you 're right re CSV But that still leaves the
question :"What is the (intended?) purpose of the 'Account' column in the
CSV dialogue?" Maybe I'll take the plunge and try to unpack the source code
for some clues. In the meantime, I'll have a look at the QIF spec to work
out out how to specify the split for any given transaction. If successful,
I'll post my findings here, if that's OK?
Regards
Nick

On 18 September 2014 14:49, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:

> Nick,
>
> nick corbin <corbin.nj at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Can anyone tell me how to use the column 'Account' in this dialogue? For
> > example: I want to import a list of transactions reflecting the purchase
> of
> > a number of books using my credit card. So I need to update the
> > 'Liabilities:Credit Card' account and the 'Expenses:Books' accounts. In
> the
> > CSV file containing the dates and transaction amounts, I include a column
> > 'Account' containing the value "Expenses:Books" (in double quotes), and
> > select the appropriate column headings in the 'Import Transactions from
> > CSV' dialogue. In the same dialogue, I specify 'Liabilities:Credit Card'
> as
> > the target account. However, on the 'Match Transactions' screen, under
> > 'Info', the system displays the message 'New, UNBALANCED (needs acct to
> > transfer R123,00'. So clearly my entries in the 'Account' column did not
> > achieve what I hoped they would. The only way to specify the matching
> > accounts is to double-click each row in turn. If anyone can assist, I'll
> be
> > very grateful. I have searched the web for answers/clues, but with no
> luck.
>
> I don't think it supports it.  AFAIK the only importer that supports
> functionality like that is QIF.  So perhaps you should convert your CSV
> to QIF instead?

> -derek
>
> --

Nick Corbin