Default invoice filename

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Sep 19 06:35:01 EDT 2014

On Thursday 18 September 2014 23:02:30 Adam wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to alter the default invoice filename when I export it
> as PDF? I'd like to add my business name to the start of the
> filename.
>
> Googling has revealed this:
> http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/SOLVED-Default-file-name-of-invoi
> ce-from-pdf-printer-td4660673.html
>
> But I am using Windows so can't use gconf-editor. Also, I can't find a
> "gconf .xml" file.
>
> GNUCash 2.6.3 git rev 166cbb7+ on 2014-04-01

Hi Adam,

gconf has been replaced with another preferences system. On Windows you
will find the preferences directly in the Windows Registry.

The setting pdf-export/fileformat is still in use in GnuCash 2.6.

In the registry it resides under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER/software/GSettings/org/gnucash/dialogs/general/report

It won't be there by default (only values that deviate from the default
value will be effectively in the registry). To change it you will first
have to create a sub key named "pdf-export" and within that string key a
value named "filename-format" and a value that adheres to this:

"This setting chooses the file name for PDF export. This is a sprintf(3)
string with three arguments: "%1$s" is the report name such as
"Invoice". "%2$s" is the number of the report, which for an invoice
report is the invoice number. "%3$s" is the date of the report,
formatted according to the filename-date-format setting. (Note: Any
characters that are not allowed in filenames, such as '/', will be
replaced with underscores '_' in the resulting file name.)"

The default value is
%1$s-%2$s-%3$s

So in your particular case you could change this to
MyBusinessName-%1$s-%2$s-%3$s

Does that help ?

Regards,

Geert