Change ledger font

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Sun Sep 21 21:55:18 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-21 11:08, Geert Janssens wrote:
> On Friday 19 September 2014 23:33:27 AC wrote:

>>> You can always override the system's theme settings by writing a
>>> customized gtkrc config file.
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_change_the_register_col
>>> ors.3F
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows#Q:_What_if_I_need_to_change_an
>>> other_visual_aspect.2C_not_covered_by_.22Select_Theme.22.3F for more
>>> info.
>>
>> Those instructions don't lead me to a .gtkrc-2.0 file anywhere on my
>> system.  I used the select theme tool as instructed but it never
>> generated the .gtkrc-2.0 file.
>>
> Depending on your version of Windows this file is generated in
> c:\Documents and Settings\<your-username>\
> or
> c:\Users\<your-username>\
>
> It may be treated as a hidden file on your system. In that case you need
> to change your folder settings to show hidden files and/or system files.

I already have hidden files shown, it's not there.  Under Win 7 it would
then be under C:\Users\[username] but nothing is there.  I also did a
full disk search (both using Windows find and using find under Cygwin)
with no success.  There simply is no file named .gtkrc-2.0 on my system.

>> The closest I've found is an etc directory (\program files
>> (x86)\gnucash\etc) with a simple gtkrc file under a directory named
>> gtk-2.0 within that etc directory but it has only one line:
>>
>> gtk-theme-name = "Nimbus" (which is the theme I chose.)
>>
> That is the default being installed.
>
>> I tried adding a theme override here using the examples at
>> http://svn.gnucash.org/trac/browser/gnucash/trunk/doc/gtkrc-2.0.gnucas
>> h with no success.
>>
> Which changes did you make ?

I specifically added:

# The header lines at the top of a register.
style "gnc-register-header"
{
  base[NORMAL]      = "#B18396"
}

# The color of the first line/transaction in a register.
style "gnc-register-primary"
{
  base[NORMAL]      = "#DEB9BF"
  base[SELECTED]    = "#EF98FF"
}

# The color of the second line/transaction in a register.
style "gnc-register-secondary"
{
  base[NORMAL]      = "#FFDAF6"
  base[SELECTED]    = "#EF98FF"
}

# The color of any "split" lines in a register.
style "gnc-register-split"
{
  base[NORMAL]      = "#E7D3ED"
  base[SELECTED]    = "#EF98FF"
}
widget "GncMainWindow.*.header_color"    style : highest
"gnc-register-header"
widget "GncMainWindow.*.primary_color"   style : highest
"gnc-register-primary"
widget "GncMainWindow.*.secondary_color" style : highest
"gnc-register-secondary"
widget "GncMainWindow.*.split_color"     style : highest
"gnc-register-split"

>> I also found many gtkrc files spread throughout the \program files
>> (x86)\gnucash\share\themes tree.  I edited the Nimbus theme there,
>> too, again with no success.  The ledger stays green/tan.
>
> No these files define the possible themes available. Changing these
> won't make a difference.
>
> However, if your ledger stays green/tan that means you didn't change the
> preference inside gnucash that I pointed out to you:
> Edit->Preferences->Register->Use System Theme colors
>
> If you *don't* want the green/tan color scheme, you should *enable* this
> option.

I did that, too, it didn't take my edits above, it still took the system
colors which ended up with an all white ledger.