Manual in French

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Sep 22 13:23:17 EDT 2014

Hi Nicolas,

You are confusing bank terminology with accounting terminology.

A bank will call a deposit to your bank account a credit and a
withdrawal a debit. That is because that's how the bank has to book
these transactions in *the bank's books*.

When you deposit money on your bank account the bank owes you that
money, which makes it a liability for the bank. In accounting
terminology increasing a liability is a credit.

In *your books* however, the money you put on your bank account is an
asset. And increasing an asset is a debit.

Your second screen shot uses the terms your bank would use which are the
proper terms for their books. For your books things are different.

If you find this confusing I can agree it is. That's why gnucash offers
the alternative names "Dépôt" and "Retrait" because most people that are
not accountants find these more intuitive.

Hopefully this explains it a bit better.

Geert