GC 2.6.3: Apparent inconsistency between reports for a single customer--Reopened

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Sep 25 16:55:27 EDT 2014

On Thursday 25 September 2014 13:43:26 Terry Morse wrote:
> The plot thickens:
>
> With David Cousens's invaluable help,I solved my problem with
> inconsistencies between Receivable Aging, Customer, and Tax Invoice
> reports (for details, see below), but the solution appears to be
> temporary:
>
> After unposting a customer invoice to add charges to it, then
> reposting the invoice, all the internal lot links disappear from A/R,
> and the payments no longer show up on the tax invoice. As the process
> of assigning the entries in A/R as payments is time consuming, I
> don't want to have to do it repeatedly, nor to have to go through the
> entire A/R register for the year, doing the assignments once the
> invoices are closed at the end of the tax year, which would be a
> similarly laborious process.
>
> Is there any way to get these internal links between invoice and lots
> to persist when I unpost then repost the invoice?

I realize this is very frustrating if you regularly have to unpost
invoices to make changes.

Unfortunately this was a deliberate design decision during the 2.6
development cycle. There are too many ways you can change an unposted
invoice that would invalidate the associated payments. So to be on the
safe side it was decided to separate payments from an invoice the moment
it gets unposted.

On the other hand this choice was probably too restrictive and I have
this on my list to revisit at some point and improve the situation.
Until that time the only options you have is to either not unpost paid
invoices or manually reassign the payments after you repost.

Sorry about that.

Geert