Problem retrieving Gnucash data

Matěj Cepl mcepl at cepl.eu
Fri Sep 26 05:20:43 EDT 2014

On 2014-09-25, 22:49 GMT, Jennifer Peckham wrote:
> Anyway, as part of his cleanup process, apparently he deleted Gnucash,
> because when I went to open a saved Gnucash file, it won't open and wants
> me to identify the proper program for opening it.  I was going to reinstall
> Gnucash, but my Avast anti-virus program cautions me about installing this
> program.
>
> I'm very nervous that Gnucash is what caused my computer problems recently
> and am nervous about reinstalling it.  However, I have some important
> business data saved as a Gnucash file that I need to retrieve.

I think the key question is where you got your Gnucash from. If
it was from some random download site (download.com or hundreds
of its copycats) then most likely you got some payload on the
top of it (not necessarily pure malware, but they always bundle
their software with some programs they get paid for to
distribute). If it was even worse than download.com you could
get a virus.

Go ALWAYS ONLY to the original sources and for Gnucash the site
is http://gnucash.org/download.phtml Programs you download from
there is quite certainly clear of any miscreatures and if Avast!
still complain then it is its problem (or general problem of
your computer which has been already invaded before) and Gnucash
developers would probably like to know about it.

Best,

Matěj