Request assistance for importing invoice/bill payments

Nelson Handcock nelson.handcock at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 17:47:49 EDT 2014

Hello Geert,

Thanks for responding. As per my screenshots on my dropbox (refer to my
original email). - I am successfully importing Bills and Invoices using the
importer tool, and I'd like to do similar with payments for the
transactions.

When I import Bills and Invoices, they immediately show up on the
Customer/Vendor Reports, but the test transactions I imported (qif
importer) as payments did not show up.
I figured out this is likely because the transaction is not linked to the
invoice - the "Ref" and "Action" fields were not filled, unlike others that
are processed manually when I use the ""Pay Invoice..." option. As you say
- it doesn't know about Invoices so that's fair enough.

The "Assign as Payment..." does literally nothing. I am in the list of
transactions for the Expenses:Accounts Receivable account - I highlight a
transaction and choose the option from the RH mouse button menu. And I see
nothing else at all. I was expecting at least a pop-up window to allow me
to update the Invoice number and the Action fields, or something...

I've done some googling and searching on the Tutorial Guide - I admit I'm
not sure if my expectation is reasonable or not. I can find some references
to the option being used, but I can't see anything to show me what should
be happening, or indeed whether I'm using it correctly.

I'm using Gnucash 2.6.3 - Build 166cbb7+ April 2014. I found a reference to
a bug dated Feb 2014 - not sure if this is telling me there is an issue or
there was an issue... :-)
http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-patches/2014-February/028582.html

I have indeed thought about using the CSV transaction importer, but I was
hoping I would not need it, but I can have a closer look at it.

When I used the qif importer it automatically creates entries in the
Expenses and Income accounts. With the csv transaction importer I expect I
will have to build both these transactions separately, and maybe even have
them in separate import files (one for each account).
So at this stage the qif importer looked to be the better tool (2
transactions based on a single data source - no mucking around getting the
data into the correct columns, etc).

I've exported transactions into a csv file and I imagine I'd have to build
a csv file that has the same layout to use for imports. I'm happy to
explore the transaction importer approach more, if that's going to be the
best thing to do.

Your advice will be appreciated...

Thanks & Regards,

Nelson Handcock