Foreign stock purchase with domestic currency trading commission

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 16:36:46 EDT 2015

On 4/11/2015 11:46 AM, geoff at wrightville.org wrote:
> Wow. Did not even know there was a trading accounts feature. Will investigate tonight and report back. My other thought was to disassociate the brokerage fees from each individual trade and just stick these fees in a separate account.
>
> Thanks for the tip about trading accounts.
>
> Geoff

While I think that trading accounts are probably the best way to go, I
am leery about turning them on without a lot of testing to see how they
work for my data.  Thus I will warn you to try running a test file next
to your primary file until you are comfortable with whichever decision
you make.  I think it is difficult to back out the changes if you decide
after a few weeks that you should not have done that.

I think that GnuCash may not handle a stock correctly if it is held in a
security account that has a different currency than the parent brokerage
account, but I do not have direct experience with that use case.  Maybe
that is where trading accounts make it work.

David C