Using two computers

L. D. James ljames at apollo3.com
Sun Apr 12 08:30:23 EDT 2015

On 04/12/2015 07:44 AM, Jonathan Garber wrote:
> I have my files in dopbox and each computer accesses the same file there.
>
> Jonathan
I just checked.  Gnucash works for me on dropbox.  My OS is Linux
(Ubuntu 14.10).  If you give us more details of your envirnonment I'll
try to duplicate it and see where things are going wrong for you.

We will need the information we've asked you for.

1)  What OS are you using?
2)  What error messages are you getting?
3)  Does it work with one machine and not the other, or neither.

These are new questions that needs to be added to the list of things we
need to know.  Dropbox (just like any network sharing) can be configured
for read/write.  Does the folder you're using have read/write permission
for the computer/user that is accessing the file.  You can check this by
using the option to create a new folder from the computer that is
failing.  Then copy your gnucash data file to that folder.  Then invoke
the file from that folder.  Also check if you can edit a word processor
folder from your dropbox folder. If you can't edit and make changes to a
word process folder this will make it very clear that the problem has to
do with the way you have your dropbox figured... it's not a problem with
Gnucash... though our experience users can still certainly help.

4)  Can you create a new folder or file from the computer(s) you're
having problems with (verify read/write access).
5)  Can you modify a word processor file for the computer(s) you're
having problems with (verify read/write access).

You will save yourself a lot of time if you ensure that you answer all 5
of those questions.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James