Location of new GnuCash style sheets

Mike or Penny Novack mpnovack at mtdata.com
Sat Aug 1 10:08:07 EDT 2015

I note that this folder does not display to Mac users by default.
Wouldn’t it be more appropriate to place these files in some visible
spot, since they are user-created?

> Perhaps.
>
> This data has historically always been in a hidden directory. The
> original developers seemed to consider stylesheets as configuration data
> rather than a separate user-created file. The use case of sharing this
> was probably never considered.

Whether ANY directories are "hidden" is a matter of YOUR choice. That
the default setting for MS and Mac operating systems "hides" application
data is probably for the benefit of very basic computer users, people
who are unable to do things like back up their own data* (YOUR
application data is YOUR data, that's why there is an application data
directory in each user's space).

What we saw earlier (in a post) is an example of why the OS developers
might have made such a decision. In the program area is often found what
looks like data. Those are the "skeletons" of the data used to
initialize what is created in each user's application data area the
first time they open the program. The "skeletons" can't be in any user's
data area as they have to be available (for that initialization) for
users who might not yet exist on the computer.

But I'll repeat, if you have left your "file searching" tool not to show
"hidden" files that is your choice.

Michael D Novack

* If you can't see/select a directory, how could you copy it to a USB
drive or wherever you make your periodic backups.