Mutual fund prices precision

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Sat Aug 1 20:08:36 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-01 16:37, farleykj wrote:
> I tried this out, via the following, pretty much as you described:
> (1) enter 47.889 shares in that column.
> (2) enter 4.76 in the price column
> Make no other entries, <tab> through to the next line of the split.
> The result is the total is calculated as 227.95. This results in the price
> per share being adjusted to the 4.75997 value. The number of shares is
> unchanged. Thus I don't understand what you mean by the final share count
> being off.
> I suspect what's happening is because the registers are only allowing the
> balance column to represent numbers with two decimal places, since we're
> dealing with dollars and cents. It calculates the total to be 47.889 * 4.76
> = 227.95164, rounds that to 227.95, then recalculates the price to be
> 4.75997.

Somewhere it's causing the shares or the balance of the account to be
off slightly.  My balances are showing three decimal places currently
and I've even set the accounts to have six decimal places with no
apparent change.  This account is off by about one whole point whereas
the other fund accounts differ from the statement by 0.01 or so.  The
others have fewer transactions than this one so it seems to be a
cumulative effect.  The balance column doesn't line up with any of the
statements over time, it's slowly drifting apart.