Could not determine account currency

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Aug 2 17:32:18 EDT 2015

--On August 2, 2015 at 1:14:51 AM -0700 AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:

> Ok, so with all the playing around with my mutual fund accounts I've
> messed something else up.  If I enter a transaction into a mutual
> fund, it pops up the dialog box that basically says "Could not
> determine account currency, using system default."
>
> I have the accounts set up with their securities (ticker symbol) and
> the buys/sells go into the equity account (default currency of USD).
> What's the missing bit?

You probably have your account hierarchy set up in such a way that no
ancestor of the account containing the security is a currency account.
To get the default currency for an account GnuCash looks up the account
hierarchy to find the nearest account whose commodity is a currency.
If none is found before the top of the tree you get this message.

         Mike