Mutual fund prices precision

AC gnucash at acarver.net
Mon Aug 3 16:40:26 EDT 2015

On 2015-08-03 12:17, Derek Atkins wrote:
> AC <gnucash at acarver.net> writes:
>
>> I know the share count matters, but the share count is wrong and I can't
>> get it working properly to match the statements.  Doesn't matter if I
>> let GC compute the price or compute the buy/sell total, it still seems
>> to be off slightly in the share totals.
>
> The only numbers that GnuCash cares about are:
>
> 1) Number of Shares, and
> 2) Total Value of those shares
>
> The price is always computed.  If you enter in a price then it will
> compute one of the other values, round it, and then *recompute* the
> price.

Well that's...interesting.

>> For one account the shares as listed on the statement are 950.971 but GC
>> is computing 949.632 even though I started the account from scratch and
>> entered every transaction manually.  Most of the other funds differ in
>> shares by 0.01 but this one is a larger difference of a whole point.
>> This is also the only account where most of the prices have
>> autocorrected themselves so that's why I'm suspicious of the things
>> going on in the background.
>
> This means you did not enter in the number of shares correctly...
> Either that or your rounding and the institution's rounding are
> different.

No, I'm entering precisely what is on the statement for the number of
shares so both should agree.  It appears that the recomputation is
biting me.  I'll just have to let GC compute the price, it just throws
off basis information slightly since the price in the statement is not
exactly the price in GC.  But at least the other two values will line up.