Mutual fund prices precision

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 03:01:48 EDT 2015

On 3 August 2015 at 22:31, AC <gnucash at acarver.net> wrote:
>> ..
> As an example, a purchase of 136.742 shares (same precision as the
> statement) for a total price of $650.89 (also same precision) and the
> price per share is 4.759 on the statement and 4.75999 in GC.  The
> statement lists prices per share to three decimals.  There is probably
> internal rounding on their system that I can not see because no
> statement or other record shows more than three decimals of price.

Interestingly neither your bank nor GC seem to have correctly rounded
it, both have truncated.  If you get your calculator out and work out
650.89/136.742 you will see the answer is 4.7599895959 (to that
precision).  So to three decimal places the correct rounded figure is
4.760 and to five decimal places it is 4.76000.

Colin