Wrong Begining Balance Prevents Reconcilliation

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 4 09:38:15 EDT 2015

Dorel,

I am confused. You say the Opening balance is wrong and that this prevents the reconciliation. But you also say that the final balances in GnuCash and your statement match. In general, if the ending balances match, GnuCash will allow you to complete the reconciliation process regardless of the opening balance. In other words, the Opening balance is only for informational purposes. So, something is awry here; if the Opening Balance is the only thing off, you should be able to finish the process.

Did you read section 4.5 of the Guide, which covers reconciliation? It especially discusses the case of an opening balance not matching your statement, ways this can occur, and ways to remedy the problem.

As for your question regarding the origin of the Opening balance number, it is my understanding that GnuCash tallies up EVERY transaction in the register that has been reconciled to arrive at this number. This can get confusing at times when a stray transaction (say, much later in your register than you expect) has been accidentally reconciled. This can happen for example, when a transaction gets the wrong year entered.