Keeping track of small debt between friends, both ways

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:47:25 EDT 2015

It's either an Asset or a Liability. Pick one. If you are concerned about
it sometimes having a negative balance, pick based on what you think the
typical balance would be: If you think Bob will owe you more often than you
will owe Bob, then make it an asset. If you think it's the other way
around, then make it a Liability.

My solution to similar problems is to not worry about it. If I go out to
dinner with Bob and pick up the check, it's an expense. Informally, I know
he'll pick up the check next time to "settle the debt". I don't worry that
I paid $15 for his dinner, and he paid $12 for mine (so he'd owe me $3).