There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 11 04:42:24 EDT 2015

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 1:48 AM, listreader <suselist at cableone.net> wrote:
>
> Howdy...
>
> Linux (openSUSE 13.2 x64), GnuCash 2.6.4, "This copy was built from
> rev 79bdcf1+ on 2014-10-15."
>
> Price Editor>Get Quotes is failing with a message "There was an unknown
> error while retrieving the price quotes."
>
> Quotes retrieval worked fine all year until today (10th August), last
> successful run was on past Friday (7th August).  The quotes normally
> retrieved are on NASDAQ and NYSE, as well as two others listed as
> "Currency" in Price Editor (XAG, XAU).  There have been no updates or
> changes to the os on this machine since the last successful run of Get
> Quotes.
>
> Any clues would be appreciated.  Thanks.

That’s generally due to bad results coming back from F::Q for a symbol. Go through your list of symbols and test them with gnc-fq-dump:
  gnc-fq-dump yahoo CSCO
to check CSCO’s price using Yahoo! as a source and
  gnc-fq-dump currency XAG USD
to check the current exchange rate between XAG and USD.
Anything that doesn’t look like
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: CSCO                 <=== required
      date: 08/10/2015           <=== required
  currency: USD                  <=== required
      last: 28.59                <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 28.59                <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional
for a stock or
1 XAU = 1113.55 USD
for a currency is an error and you’ll have to disable online quotes for it in the security editor. If you get a lot of errors or if XAU or XAG fail (I just tested both successfully) then something is wrong with your F::Q installation. If you installed it via your package manager you’ll have to go to the distro’s packager for support.

Regards,
John Ralls