6 digit decimal stock purchase

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue Aug 11 16:40:21 EDT 2015

> On Aug 11, 2015, at 7:12 PM, Michael Carpino <mfcarpino at gmail.com <mailto:mfcarpino at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> If you're referring to the fraction traded.  I tried that and it is actually set at 1/100000000 but when I input the shares in the ledger it changes 1.123456 to 1.12345 when I enter it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mike
>
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:01 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us <mailto:jralls at ceridwen.us>> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 11, 2015, at 3:50 PM, Michael Carpino <mfcarpino at gmail.com <mailto:mfcarpino at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >
> > One of my stock investments will reinvest dividends to 6 digits with the
> > decimal.  That would be 2.123456 however it apears that GnuCash will only
> > go out to 5 digits.  Does anyone know if 6 digits can be accomplished?
>
> Yes, you set that 3 digits when you created the stock. You can use Tools>Security Editor to change it.

Please remember to copy the list when you reply using “reply all” or if your client supports it “reply list”.

Yes, fraction traded is the GUI name in the security editor. Internally it’s called the “smallest commodity unit” or SCU. It’s clamped at 1000000 so although you can enter a larger number it won’t use it. Are you sure that the column width is sufficient to show all of the digits? I’d expect 1.12346 if it was rounding 1.123456. Was this a test where you entered a dividend of 1.00 and a price of .89011051612?

Regards,
John Ralls